On 1st July 2014, it became a legal requirement under the Construction Products Regulations (CPR) to CE Mark fabricated steelwork sold in the UK. In the event of a no-deal Brexit (or partial deal), this will become a UKCA Mark (UK Conformity Assessed) although CE Marking will still be recognised as meeting UK requirements. The UKCA Mark will have identical requirements to those for CE Marking but it will not be recognised as compliant in Europe.
Sandberg Engineers and Consultants were at the heart of the preparations for the legislation including input into the main standard, EN 1090 and the National Structural Steelwork Specification. Sandberg Engineers and Consultants have extensive experience in the preparation of companies for CE Marking accreditation, ISO 3834 compliance (a standard at the core of the CE marking accreditation) and can provide Responsible Welding Coordinator (RWC) personnel as part of an overall package.
For Designers, Main Contractors and Specifiers
It is important to note that CE Marking is not a ‘quality mark’ and does not ensure compliance with a project specification. Sandberg Engineers can assist the project team in ensuring that products supplied are compliant with the CE Marking legislation and specification requirements.
Sandberg Engineers also offer CPD events to update Specifiers, Employers and Engineers in the requirements of the CE Marking legislation.
Sandberg Engineers and Consultants offer the most comprehensive service available that guides the fabricator through every aspect of the CE Marking requirements from an initial review right through to CE marking assessment by the Notified Body (NB).
- An initial visit to review existing processes and systems
- Preparation of a ‘gap analysis’ report
- Guidance on additional procedures and requirements, i.e., Factory Production Control (FPC) / Welding Quality Management System (WQMS)
- Assistance with preparation of procedures/FPC/WQMS
- Monitoring visits to assist and guide implementation of the procedures/FPC/WQMS
- Training of personnel in the use of procedures/FPC/WQMS and visual welding inspection
- Provision of all welding certification documentation, i.e., WPQRs, WPSs, WQTCs
- Act as RWC (including cover for Execution Classes 3 and 4)
- Presence during the assessment by the Notified Body
Sandberg will provide a quotation but it should be noted that there is no ‘one size fits all’. All fabricators have different requirements and we only charge for what we do; there is no requirement to sign up for a fixed package.
For more information contact our in-house experts: