Sandberg has been continuously involved with the diagnosis of AAR since before the earliest UK mainland example was publicised more than twenty years ago. This experience embraces alkali-silica, alkali-silicate and alkali-carbonate reactivity and extends to over thirty countries. It covers both pre-construction AAR risk assessment of concrete constituents, its diagnosis and evaluation in existing structures and the provision of expert services where litigation ensues.
Pre-Construction Evaluation of Constituents
- Desk Studies of potential aggregate resources and environmental factors.
- Source assessments and aggregate sampling by experienced geologists.
- Expert petrographical examinations of aggregates.
- Indicative chemical testing of aggregates and aggregate combinations.
- Alkali content analysis of cements, additives, water and aggregates.
- Full assessment of concrete mix proposals for AAR potential.
- Recommendations for minimising AAR risk and specification advice.
- Tests include: ASTM C1260, ASTM C289, ASTM C227, BS812-123
Diagnosis and Evaluation of AAR in Concrete and Concrete Structures
- Expert inspection, in-situ testing and sampling of structures
- Visual and microscopical examination of concretes
- Chemical analysis of concrete, alkalis, chlorides, cement content
- Mineralogical and chemical analyses of reaction products
- Core expansion testing of concrete
- Diagnostic and remedial appraisals of potentially affected structures
For more information contact our in-house expert: