Concrete durability is one of the most important considerations in the design of new structures and when assessing the condition of existing structures. Concrete construction is becoming increasingly complex and the importance of producing structures that are both cost-effective and durable has never been higher.
An understanding of concrete durability is fundamental to establishing the service life of new or existing structures.
Whether the concrete is within a severe environment such as highway bridges or marine structures or whether it contains uncommon materials such as high alumina cement or re-cycled aggregates, knowledge of the concrete durability potential is key to the long term performance.
Although all concrete is likely to deteriorate to some extent, ensuring good durability is about minimising the rate of deterioration.
Concrete durability is therefore related to:
- The design process
- Specification of materials
- Environmental effects
Concrete Durability – The Design Stage
Sandberg provides specialist advice at the design stage that can prevent many problems occurring during construction. New specifications can be prepared or existing ones reviewed, to optimise both durability and constructability.
Our range of services includes:
- Concrete Durability Assessments for New Structures
- Interpretation of Standards and Codes of Practise
- Advice on Performance Testing for Concrete and its Constituent Materials
- Production of Materials and Concrete Specifications
- Advice on all aspects of Concrete Performance, based on the most recent developments in technology
Sandberg offers a range of services to contractors to assist them in achieving their objectives. Whilst based on the latest technology, our approach is focussed on the practical application of technology during construction.
- Advice on achieving Performance Requirements
- Materials Selection
- Concrete Mix Design Development
- Advice on appropriate Construction Techniques
- Site Monitoring
Should problems occur either during construction or at some subsequent time, Sandberg can help. We have extensive experience in diagnosing and solving concrete related problems including:
- Poor Fresh Concrete Characteristics
- Testing Fresh Concrete
- Low Strength Concrete/Failure to Meet Performance Specifications
- Hardened Concrete
- Load Testing
- Concrete Deterioration and Damage
- Concrete Durability Carbonation and chloride-induced corrosion
- Concrete surface pop-outs
- Sulphate Attack
- Alkali Aggregate Reactivity
- High alumina cement concrete
- Fire and Explosion
- Failure in Service
In the event of litigation, Sandberg can also provide expert technical advice and assistance:
- High-Quality Support in Concrete Technology
- UKAS Accredited Laboratory Facilities
For more information contact our in-house expert: