While we are all trying to reduce our carbon footprint to fight the climate emergency, at Sandberg we are aware that repurposing, re-using and retrofitting buildings is key to reaching net-zero carbon within the construction industry.
We support our clients with detailed condition assessments, site investigations and inspections, material testing, thermal analysis, maintenance programmes and design reviews in their effort of finding new ways for using their buildings.
How Can We Help to Retrofit Existing Buildings?
The most sustainable building is the one already built. And in most cases, repurposing and retrofitting existing buildings is also the most cost-effective solution.
Services offered by Sandberg can assist this agenda in several ways. Our industry-leading experts, material testing labs and a team of consultants and inspectors can assess the condition of existing buildings and their elements, allowing clients to have confidence in the retrofitting and repurposing of their buildings. In turn, this will save money and reduce the construction industry’s impact on the environment.
These services include:
- Detailed building inspections via scaffold or abseiling
- Intrusive investigation
- Investigations using non-destructive techniques (ground penetrating radar, thermography, rebar mapping, electronic leak detection)
- Laboratory testing to identify materials, their properties and condition including concrete, steel and cast iron, stone, brick, mortars and polymers
- Hygrothermal analysis and simulations of building envelopes to assess their thermal performance and condensation risk analysis
- In-situ monitoring of temperature and relative humidity
- Design review of proposed façade retrofitting solutions
- Development of maintenance programmes
- Development of conservation strategies to include factors such as future maintenance and use
Understanding the building, its materials and systems and potential risks related to repurposing is key to ensuring a successful retrofit. This will allow the design team to plan and evaluate the improvements that can/should be made.
The extent of the refurbishment depends on the building. The building stock in the UK includes many different building types, from different ages. Sandberg heritage experts are well-positioned to advise in this area, understanding the peculiarities of each building and verifying what can be achieved within the client and the architect vision.
For more information contact our in-house expert: