- Specialist in concrete petrography and quantitative analysis of hardened concrete
- Petrography and allied microscopic techniques
- Scanning electron microscopy and X-ray microanalysis
- Specialist testing of materials such a grout, mortar and historic construction materials
- Geomaterials research and development
Petrographer with more than 20 years experience in the petrographic examination of a very wide range of civil engineering construction materials including concrete, grout, mortar, aggregates and crushed rock fill. Research papers published on delayed ettringite formation (DEF) in concrete, alkali-aggregate reaction (AAR) in concrete and the thaumasite form of sulphate (TSA) attack in concrete. Author of the Applied Petrography Group Code of Practice for the Petrographic Examination of Concrete APG-SR2 and contributor Concrete Society publications and the Report of the Thaumasite Expert Group.
Manager of Geomaterials Research Services department and responsible for the coordination of Geomaterials projects.