Midland Corrosion Services (MCS) is recruiting an experienced Part-Time laboratory technician to assist our Senior Corrosion Engineers in failure investigations and testing projects. The position will be based at our laboratories in Darley Dale, Derbyshire (on the edge of the Peak District National Park).
MCS carry out laboratory and on-site testing for a range of clients in the building services sector, including building owners, FM companies, water treatment companies and solicitors/insurance companies. Typical work would involve mechanical preparation of samples, equipment maintenance, laboratory testing and assessments under supervision.
- Working Hours: part-time with a minimum of 15 hours
- Lab and office location-based
- Immediate start
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to work within a small team supporting our experienced corrosion engineers in a wide variety of projects. Training will be provided to undertake a variety of lab tests in accordance with specific standards, enabling the candidate to employ their experience of different techniques to solve challenges. We love problem-solving for our clients and through your contribution, we can identify the root cause of issues and provide guidance to improve our business.
- Provide laboratory support to senior engineers
- Responsible for maintaining equipment, ensuring calibrations and ordering laboratory supplies
- Ensure that all safety guidelines are followed strictly at all times and maintain a clean and orderly environment
- Prepare test specimens using various techniques
- Execute laboratory testing and evaluation according to standard procedures using methods including microscopy, chemical analysis and utilising analytical equipment
- Assist senior engineers with site visits and survey activities
- HNC or equivalent in a scientific subject
- Minimum 2-year experience of working in a similar role
- Experience in operating different electrical and mechanical equipment
- Hands-on attitude
- Excellent English (spoken and written)
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Good attention to detail
- Keen to learn new techniques
- Experience with lab management & testing
- A degree in a related subject (materials, physics, chemistry or similar)
- Understanding of basic corrosion engineering and science
- Experience with failure investigation in metallic materials
- Driving license
- 25 days holidays per year pro-rata based on hours worked
- Pension scheme
About Midland Corrosion Services Ltd
A small, friendly company founded in 2001. The company has established itself as one of the UK’s leading corrosion consultancy and testing companies. Since 2017, MCS has been part of Sandberg LLP – a leading materials and engineering consultancy based in Clapham, London.
To apply please email a CV to: