We are seeking a Conservation Architect with experience and a keen interest in building pathology and the diagnosis of failures. The successful candidate will become a senior member of our in-house team of expert consultants.
Sandberg’s Consultancy Department comprises a team of multi-disciplinary consultants providing expert advice on a wide range of construction issues. The Firm includes testing laboratories with significant expertise in areas such as metallurgy, natural stone and historic mortars. Each member of the Consultant team is given a great deal of autonomy to develop their area as appropriate and report directly to the Managing Partner.
The Firm is seeking to appoint a conservation Architect to bring their expertise into the fields of building pathology and material failure investigation of historic and contemporary buildings. You will work alongside experienced colleagues, some renowned in their field, to provide an overall package to our clients.
As the work involves examination of original and developing construction defects, the role includes the opportunity to significantly advance any interest in forensic examination. Additionally, you will be:
- Responsible for managing, planning and costing your own work, liaising directly with clients, organising equipment and undertaking site work
- Writing formal technical and expert reports, setting out your opinions and findings.
- Accepting instructions from Solicitors for assisting in legal cases.
- Enjoying a full-time position based at our laboratories in Clapham, London
- Working flexibility, partially from home, but within commuting distance of London
- Travelling to sites within London and, at times, elsewhere in the UK.
At Sandberg, we value excellence and will support you to integrate within the Firm, including the freedom to find the environment you feel most comfortable with
The key requirements for the role are:
- Membership of RIBA.
- A passion for historic building conservation and at least 5 years experience within the field. This experience should include failure investigation and building pathology.
- Experience in creating detailed technical reports for use by Clients and other consultants.
- The ability to set out proposals and quotations and manage ongoing costs.
- Work well within teams, accepting that the process of learning is ongoing.
- Possess a full Driving licence.
- Additional specialist conservation qualifications.
With over 160 years under our belts, Sandberg is considered one of the leading providers of engineering consultancy, testing and inspection services in the UK. We’ve been involved in projects as interesting and diverse as the Forth Bridge, Thames Barrier, Channel Tunnel, Canary Wharf, British Museum, Canterbury Cathedral, Dubai metro and the Smithsonian Museum.
Further information on the Firm can be found at www.sandberg.co.uk.
Sandberg is proud to have a community feel and employ staff from a variety of different backgrounds. We are committed to continuing to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and will consider all applications that meet the above requirements.
To apply for this role, please send a CV and brief cover note to: