Cement: sand mortar bedding can be used for terrazzo tile and most natural stone floorings. The bedding mortar can either be bonded to a base or used as with semi-dry consistency when a weak bond is required.
Unlike screed, bedding mortar is covered by tiles whilst still in its fresh state and so cannot be tested in-situ for quality/strength. However Sandberg can audit the mixing, compacting and laying process providing an independent check on workmanship.
Many problems associated with tiled flooring can be traced back to issues with the bedding.
Sandberg has extensive experience investigating tiled flooring failures:
- Visual survey, including crack mapping
- Sounding to identify potential delamination and de-bonding
- Forensic excavation, lifting tiles, detailed recording of findings
- Visual examination to assess degree of mixing and compaction of bedding mortar
- Chemical analysis to determine mix proportions of bedding mortar
For further information contact: Richard Rogerson, Partner
Direct Tel: 020 7565 7080