Metallurgical Failure Investigation Services
The Sandberg Metallurgy Department offers a fully independent consultancy and investigation service for metallic and non-metallic materials both on site and in the UKAS accredited laboratory.
Past projects include materials consultancy on construction materials for Sizewell 'B' Power Station, the Channel Tunnel, Faslane Nuclear Submarine Ship Lift and Canary Wharf. Failure investigations including litigations are also undertaken. Recent investigations have included window failures, product failures, crane failures and sling failures.
Areas of expertise include:
- Corrosion - Evaluation and prevention.
- Coatings - Assessment of metallic and non-metallic coatings.
- Material Identification - Assessment of new and ancient materials for type and grade and where applicable comparison with British and International Standards.
- Materials Testing - Mechanical testing to relevant British or International Standards.
- Welding - Evaluation of joints and failure investigations, also welding procedure and weld approval testing to BS EN287 and BS EN288.
- Fire and Bomb Damage - Evaluation of steelwork following damage by fire and bombs.
- Load Testing - Testing of structures and components both on site and in the Laboratory.
- Failure Investigations - Investigations into failures of components or structures of both metallic and non-metallic materials including work involving litigation.
A full range of on site services conducted by qualified personnel is available including destructive and non-destructive testing, condition surveys, corrosion surveys, proof loading of beams and structures and sample removal for laboratory testing.
The Metallurgy Laboratory offers a full range of UKAS accredited mechanical and non-destructive testing along with specialist testing for new components and materials. Materials identification, coating evaluation and corrosion assessment are carried out using high and low power microscopy.
For further information contact: Simon Clarke, Partner
Direct Tel: 020 7565 7090